Filed under: Nonprofit, Tax Tips.
- You are required to acknowledge all gifts of cash or property valued in excess of $250.00
- This includes “in-kind” donations, such as donations of paper or supplies
- Do not acknowledge (for tax purposes) donations of labor – donation of services by the donor is not tax-deductible
- You are also required to note if the benefit received by the donor in exchange for the donation exceeds $75.00
- It is a good idea and good practice to acknowledge ALL donations (exception – small cash or change donations in “tip jars” or other collections of cash)
[Source: IRS Publication 1771]